Monday, August 15, 2011

Dakarai

My teacher Mr.Speskie told me to see him after school so he could talk to me. I knew I wasn’t in trouble. I just figured it was about a job he wanted me to do. Film a basketball game, a play or something like that. But in trouble in his class was unlikely. There was no time for me to get in trouble. I was to busy learning the life of TV production or filming a short film or something. That whole day I wondered what he wanted to talk to me for. I asked around and there were no games or plays going on that day. When school ended I headed straight to my locker which was exactly across the hall from his class room. Well it wasn’t my locker it was my girlfriends but we shared. After getting my stuff I went to his class to talk. “Hey Dakarai, have you decided what college you are going to.” My grades weren’t the best so I was going to go to a community college and then transfer. Then he told me about Columbia and that I should apply. He said he knew some people and he would write me a letter of recommendation.

I applied to Columbia and waited for them to get back at me. When they did they told me I had to go thru a program called the bridge program. I wasn’t surprised because I was scared that they were going to look at my grades and say no we don’t want him here. But they didn’t, they looked beyond my grades and at me. They gave me a chance to prove myself to them that I belong there which is the bridge program. The bridge program is helping me a lot because Im able to reflect on the math that I did in high school and have my brain nice and ready for when the school year start. This program has helped me a lot. I feel that even if had good grades and didn’t have to come to this program I still would have wanted to come. Mark went to a Chinese restaurant and asked all the people in there did they do Chinese art. He just put his self out there so he would be able to better his self. One man answered and he’s getting tutored now at the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment